back to Sign Talk
your signs more effective you must understand the true
function of a sign.
The three major functions of a sign are:
1- DESIGN IMPACT
2- MESSAGE COMPREHENSION and
Regardless of whether your sign is interior or exterior,
business or industry oriented, the basic principles
remain the same.
Here are the seven basic rules to remember when you are
thinking of a new sign.
1. It must grab the mobile viewer's attention and
communicate fast. On average you have only five seconds
to convey a message.
2. Make your logo or product the dominant part of
3. Keep the message simple. People will
understand and retain it if it's as simple as possible
with a short copy line. There isn't time for a mobile
audience to read, comprehend and retain an essay.
4. Use short words to aid impact, comprehension
5. Use strong graphics for impact. They should be
relevant to your message but not dominate your product
6. Use bright colours to aid impact and grab
attention. Be sure the colours are relevant to your
market by using a recommended sign colour chart.
7. Make your sign legible. Consider it from the
viewer's point of view. Use clear lettering of relevant
size. Avoid fancy lettering on signs to be read by
mobile audiences, often at a distance. In the average
commercial area the sign must be clearly visible from